Migrating projects, models, and deployments to Python 3

vVineet
DataRobot Alumni
3 0 11.5K

DataRobot is deprecating the use of Python 2 from the platform codebase; this will require nearly all current users to migrate their active projects and model deployments to use the new Python 3 runtime in the platform. Your action is required to migrate projects as well as deployments to ensure business continuity, before these are disabled per the schedule in Managed Cloud or the on-premise version in use.

A detailed migration guide including the timeline is available.

How do I know if this impacts me or my organization?

This migration affects all users of DataRobot, due to the underlying changes in the Python version used in the platform. To ensure you can oversee and control the changes to your own projects, models and deployments, DataRobot does not automatically execute the migration steps; as a result, user intervention is required.

The following set of users should take action to plan and execute the migration steps:

• Managed AI Cloud: All users and organizations using one of our cloud (SaaS) instances and having projects created before March 7, 2022 that leverage Python 2 runtime (new projects started using Python 3 starting on March 7). The Manage Projects page will identify which projects will be deprecated. To ensure your deprecated projects are not disabled in July, follow the preset schedule of migration phases.
  • AI Cloud Platform Trial: Users who are doing short-term evaluations of the platform, and expect to be using the deprecated projects or deployments associated with these projects after July 25, 2022. The migration steps are to future-proof your work. Otherwise, if you do not intend to continue using these projects and model deployments long-term (after July 25), then you can ignore the migration steps.
  • On-Premise: All organizations using DataRobot software deployed in their privately-managed cloud or data center, except where a completely new installation (i.e., not an upgrade from a previous DataRobot version) was done on Release 7.1 or higher. An exception is Hadoop-based installations, where the Python migration is necessary regardless of the DataRobot version in use. For such eligible versions and environments, upgrading to DataRobot Release 8.0 is mandatory to execute the migration steps, prior to upgrading to any future Release 9.0 or higher. The timeline for migration is dependent on the current versions in use and upgrade plans for Release 8.0.
  • Python client: The DataRobot Python API client continues to support Python 2 and at this time we are not deprecating its use, so API client code will not need to be migrated yet. We will provide additional guidance in coming months as we look to deprecate the py2 client code. The project and deployment migration is relevant to all the users mentioned above, irrespective of whether they are using the Python client or not.

How can I get support or have my questions answered?

Existing customers can contact the DataRobot Support team or their representative for further assistance after reviewing the migration guide. DataRobot Community support is also available to all DataRobot users, including Trial and Enterprise. If you have any questions about the migration, ask them here. We hope you’ll encourage further discussions and planning in your organization to execute next steps for migration very soon.

Thanks,
DataRobot Platform team

Announcements
Welcome to the DataRobot Community! Just getting started? Check out these resources:
Complete documentation
Release announcements.
• Community guidelines and other resources.