JDBC Integration

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JDBC Integration

(Updated February 2021)

This article showcases how you can connect to a JDBC-compliant database using the DataRobot AI Catalog. More specifically, we connect DataRobot to a Snowflake database and load the contents of a specific table.

Creating a new data connection

To create a new data connection, navigate to the AI Catalog and select Add to Catalog > New Data Connection.

Figure 1. DataRobot landing pageFigure 1. DataRobot landing page

Figure 2. AI CatalogFigure 2. AI Catalog

Now you can define a new connection. For this particular tutorial, we need to use Snowflake JDBC Driver 3.5.4 and the URL that points to the database of our interest.

Figure 3. Available data storesFigure 3. Available data stores

Figure 4. Defining New ConnectionFigure 4. Defining New Connection

After that is done, DataRobot will ask for the Snowflake credentials as seen in Figure 5. These will be used to verify who you are so that you can receive access to the database. DataRobot will also securely save your credentials (if you choose the required option) which means that you will not have to re-insert your data every time.

As far as file and size limits are concerned, these are the same as with the other ingest data methods and depend on the sizing and type of your DataRobot environment. (If you are a DataRobot customer, you can find the latest file size requirements here.)

Figure 5. Defining CredentialsFigure 5. Defining Credentials

Finally, the dataset is published in DataRobot and we can now start a DataRobot project with it.Figure 6. Published DatasetFigure 6. Published Dataset

Not using Managed AI Cloud?

If you are using DataRobot On-Premise AI Cluster, Private AI Cloud, or Hybrid AI Cloud, your administrator will need to install the JDBC drivers you want to use.

More Information

If you’re a licensed DataRobot customer:

Labels (3)
Comments
nisargdshah
Snap Circuit

Hi,

Can we connect to Dendo Virtual DataPort server from DataRobot using jdbc driver of denodo? If yes how it would be done as in this jdbc integration video example @45 sec of the video it searches for the jdbc driver, so will this be same for denodo if one searches denodo driver it will be available?

Please note we are looking for this as we are about to suggest a solution to one of prospective machine learning client to use denodo & datarobot. So it would be great if you could answer above query at your earliest.

Thanks & Regards,

Nisarg Shah

Thodoris
Data Scientist
Data Scientist

Hey @nisargdshah ,

Your response pretty much also answered your question The denodo JDBC driver should be available on the dropdown menu. If it is not, then you just need to "bring" it yourself. If you are on premise, this can be done from your IT team and if you are using our SaaS solution, this can be done by DataRobot support team.

I hope this is clear enough for you!

Best regards,

Theo

nisargdshah
Snap Circuit

Hi @Thodoris ,

I am using your Free Trail SaaS version of DataRobot. So can you please help me in getting the denodo driver available for me as in by guiding whom to contact from your support team.

Thanks & Regards,

Nisarg Shah

Thodoris
Data Scientist
Data Scientist

Hey @nisargdshah ,

I am afraid that one of the current limitations of the DataRobot trial is that there is no support for adding/altering the existing JDBC connectors.

If I were you, I would try uploading a sample CSV file of your data so that I can verify the results presented by DataRobot. That could prove the business case for adopting the tool.

I am sorry for the inconvenience and I remain at your disposal to answer questions.

Best regards,

Theo

nisargdshah
Snap Circuit

Hi @Thodoris ,

Thanks for the update and your advice. However, my first and foremost point is to check the connectivity from DataRobot to Denodo as based on that our solution will devised. W.r.t. working of DataRobot I dont think there is any issue as our client already has the tool and now is looking to consolidate the data architecture landscape and to see how it can be utilized in optimum way hence the need on the connectivity between the tools as mentioned above.

If possible an answer to the connectivity mentioned between the tools is provided then that will be of great help.

Thanks & Regards,

Nisarg Shah

Thodoris
Data Scientist
Data Scientist

Hey Nisarg,

Thank you for providing the details! I did not understand that you are working with a customer already using DataRobot. Here is the breakdown of how you can use the Denodo JDBC driver:

If customer is using our SaaS solution

Then the customer needs to communicate with the DataRobot team assigned to them. This way they can go through the official process of adding the JDBC driver on our cloud offering. 

If customer has DataRobot installed on-premise

Then the customer can directly bring the JDBC driver through their IT channels. If they are having problems, they can once again follow up with their DataRobot team to troubleshoot.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Theo

nisargdshah
Snap Circuit

Hi @Thodoris,

As you mentioned about our client to connect to DataRobot support team, yes it would be processed that way only but as I said I need confirmation on the connectivity between DataRobot and Denodo before we could tell the client that this is possible and can be done by contacting DataRobot team, hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,

Nisarg Shah

Thodoris
Data Scientist
Data Scientist

Hey Nisarg,

Taking this offline to provide some more visibility. 

Best regards,

Theo

Version history
Last update:
‎02-04-2021 08:22 PM
Updated by:
Contributors